As I commented in Julian’s blog, it’s interesting to see the difference in quality that he gets between the different speeds. I haven’t noticed too much of a difference myself, but I put that more down to my lack of calibration than anything else.
I thought that I’d replicate his three-speed experiment to compare and contrast the results. I used the ‘single-wall calibration cube’ as my test object.
The four speeds were: 30, 45, 60 and 90 mm/s. They’re all looking fairly good up until the 90mm/s one. The main problem there was that the filament was going down so fast that it didn’t give the layer below a chance to cool down before starting the next layer. If I’d had some active cooling, or a larger object, I think it’d have looked great.
I didn’t notice until I’d finished doing these cubes, but my X-Axis belt was slightly loose. I think I could have got them looking even better!